During the winter when you have kids, chances are you are sick or someone in your household is. I never used to get sick before kids. In fact, my husband and thought we were invincible. No such luck. All four of us have a sore throat, runny nose, cough and stopped up ears.
There’s nothing like a bowl of soup to soothe you when you are ill. I found this veggie soup on GroupRecipes the other day. I had most of the ingredients in my cupboard. When I mustered up the energy to fix dinner last night, I put this together. My version is a teensy different than “Darbar’s”, but it was pretty scrummy. I think I’ll add the Charmoula when I have my strength back next time.
While filling my stomach with delicious broth, my throat thanked me, my cough cleared momentarily and my sinuses opened up.
What You Will Need:
4 C vegetable broth
1 C green lentils
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
What You Already Have at Home:
1 T olive oil
1 large garlic clove, diced
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Turmeric
½ tsp Ginger, dried
1 bay leaf
½ tsp parsley, dried
1 T sugar
Dash of salt and pepper
Food processor or blender
What You Need to Do:
1) Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in Dutch oven.
2) Add onion and garlic and heat for 5 minutes.
3) Add tomatoes, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
4) Add lentils, broth, bay leaf and parsley.
5) Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
6) Add chickpeas and sugar to pot. Heat through.
7) Remove about 2 cups and and bay leaf.
8) Puree in food processor.
9) Add back into soup. Heat back up and turn to low.