Tonight we’re having lasagna. I haven’t made it in a while, but it’s always easy. I already had a few of the items in the recipe, so here’s the remainder…
What You Will Need:
Bread (you cannot have an Italian meal without bread)
Fresh basil (you can get away with dried, but I used fresh)
6 oz white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (buy presliced even if more expensive b/c not much more)
15 oz lasagna or 1 box
Grated Parmesan (just use “Shaky” parmesan if you already have it)
2 (28oz) cans of crushed tomatoes
15 oz reduced fat ricotta cheese
8 oz ground turkey (I always buy the fattiest b/c it cooks and tastes better)
Serves 6 generously ($3.50 per serving)
What you might already have:
9 x 13 glass baking dish
Large pot/ Dutch oven
2 T Flour
1 ½ cup milk
What You Need to Do:
You can make this up to 2 days ahead. If you are eating this now, preheat your oven to 400˚.
1. Cut 1 medium onion into four sections. Chop onion, garlic and mushrooms in food processor until chunky. (I nearly puréed it.) Cook in dutch oven or large pot until most of moisture is gone. Add turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add 2 cans of tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Cover, simmer for 45 minutes.
2. Add 2 T of flour to small skillet. Gradually pour in milk and bring to a boil. Whisk for 3 minutes until smooth. Remove from heat, add chopped basil and ¼ cup of parmesan.
3. After meat sauce has cooked, remove from heat and transfer to large bowl. Clean large pot, fill with 4 quarts of water and a dash of salt. Bring to a boil. Add lasagna and cook for 8-10 minutes. Drain and cool.
4. Spray baking dish with cooking spray. Cover bottom of pan with 1 cup of meat sauce. Add 3 noodles. Cover with 2 cups of meat sauce. Add 3 noodles. Cover with 1 ½ cup of meat sauce, add spoonfuls of ricotta. Cover layer with spoonfuls of white sauce. Add 3 noodles. Cover with 1 ½ cup of meat sauce. Add 3 more noodles. Cover with meat sauce. Continue until you have used all of the meat sauce and noodles to your liking. (If you don’t use all of the noodles, save them to use in something else. )
5. Refrigerate. When ready to heat oven to 400˚. Sprinkle desired amount of parmesan on top and cook for 45 minutes or until hot in the center.
6. Serve with bread and arugula and parmesan salad. (salad dressing should be something light, such as oil and red wine vinegar with a little salt +pepper)