I Wish I Knew Then What I Know Now

Don’t we all? How much easier would life have been if I had only listened to the things people told me based on the their own experiences about life? Of course I couldn’t really know back then what I know now, but perhaps if I was a little more open-minded … or does God just not pass those out at the early stages of your life?

what-I-knew-then

All the things I’m going to point out might have to do with what a butterfly effect could be if there is such a thing. Don’t get me wrong. I do love my life, but there might be a couple of things I wish I could have done differently. Like fulfilled my dream as a lawyer or travel much more than I did before I settled down.

What I Wish I Knew As a Teenager

I now tell teens about the importance of education, but I know that only half of those I talk about education with would actually listen to me. I used to get really good grades in school, but I didn’t graduate with honors or high honors. I wish I did, but I didn’t try hard enough.

If I had listened to those wiser than me about the possibilities that good grades could have on my future, I would have really done my best. If I had known how much impact writing codes and web development would have on my life now, I would have tried harder in math so that I could get into a better college.

I had known that 95% of the people I wasted a lot of time with in high school were no longer going to be a part of my life, I would have allocated a little bit more time trying to make less of a mess in my life.

What I Wish I Knew As a Love Sick Single Person

Surely most of you have had love affairs or that special crush or “love” you thought you had that turned into the worst, stomach-wrenching breakup ever. I had quite a few, which turned me into the person I am today. I had the experience of being cheated on, being manipulated, being lied to, being loved, being cared for, being screamed at, being traumatized, and just being stupid.

I wish I had the strength to walk away when I knew things weren’t right. But sadly, love really can be blind. When you’re in love, you tend to dismiss what’s right simply because you’d rather not lose the person you love. I wish I knew then that the reward of respecting myself enough to walk away would have kept me from a lot of pain.

I believe, we all go through challenges in life, because it is the path we’re meant to travel. We are taken into scenarios because it is what we need to learn to grow and become the adults we are meant to be. We are taken through mishaps until we learn the life lessons we need and continue to go through the same mishaps until we truly understand what is meant for us to understand. Life offers a lot of opportunities that eventually lead to happy endings. We just have to make it through the obstacles in order to get there.

Comments

I can relate 100% to the What I Wish I Knew As a Teenager. I got good grades in high school and even graduated with honors, but it was not good enough to get me into the colleges I wanted to go to.

Thanks for sharing a great post! I think it’s good that we didn’t know all the things back then. It has been a great way of learning.

I choose not to look back in regret but take those things as learning experiences for how to shape my future. There is always going to be things I don’t know and need to learn. I just need to keep moving forward.

Well maybe I also wish but then again ever since I have been making decisions on my own I always tell myself and my friends that I do not regret any of my decisions in life no matter what happened to me I am still responsible for the choices i made and accepting the consequences of that decision that is the point of accepting one’s self.

I have the other side of this conversation: a lack of advice as I was growing up. I was taught that all that mattered was good grades and playing an instrument. When I got to college, I had no idea how to navigate the social world or the obligations I had as a young adult to sustain an independent life.

I think we need to have classes in high school that give us a heads up on relationships, parenting, finance and time management. =)

I was a young mom, decided to join the military instead of college, chose the IT industry instead of art. I’m ok with my choices, but have also learned that my new choices are based on how I want to feel and how I want the journey to feel. And it has been a wonderful shift.

We are all smarter later in life. I’m sure God has a reason for that, though… If we knew how it would end, we probably wouldn’t try half the stuff that builds our character.

Things happen for a reason. I, too, had my own share of aches and pains while growing up, and those trials and tribulations have made me a stronger (if not better) person. :)

I wish that I could say that I have lived my life with no regrets – there are certainly some things that given the opportunity, I’d do differently. But…I am really happy where and who I’m with now! I’m deeply in love with my wife (who thankfully is deeply in love with me!) and we both adore our girls who equally adore us.

If my past life was any different to how it has been, I’d be living now in a different way than I am. For example, if I had walked out of a terrible job sooner, I wouldn’t have gone to the company organised conference where I met my wife.

A future without my wife? And my other girls? I’d never want that…so I’m quite content with my history, even if it isn’t perfect!

You are so right. Especially the loving part. It all seems so desperate when you’re young. I’m praying I can raise my boys to realise true love instead of having their hearts trampled on.