Is a Will Important for My Child’s Security?

My husband and I have contemplated on having a will written for the sake of our son.  Me, being the obsessive, crazy, over-protective parent that I am, would absolutely go crazy in my grave if my son ever had to live with the wrong family. I love my husband and my son to death. Just as most wives around the world with their own family. Unfortunately, because we have had “other” things going on in our lives, we haven’t formally taken the time to actually get a will situated.  That, or because deep down, I’m pretty superstitious. I have this crazy feeling that something bad could happen as soon as we do write one.  I know, maybe I just need to watch less TV, right?

will-for-children

How the lack of a will could affect your child

Did you know that with out a will, the state has the right to take your child and appoint him to another family? That’s right, if anything was to happen to you, without a will, the state court has the legal right to have another family care for your child, regardless of who his living relatives are.  Of course they would probably take him to foster care first and from stories (might be rumors but you never know) I’ve heard, it’s not that nice.

So to me, this one reason is enough to make sure my child is secure in case anything happened to me.  Then there are financial issues as well that you have to consider. How will your child be financially secure if he’s not old enough to understand how to care for money, etc?

Easy steps to create a will for your child

One of the many reasons people don’t create wills right away is because they simply don’t have the time and/or money for a lawyer. Well guess what? You can easily take care of this yourself. Here are easy steps to consider when creating a will:

1. Name your beneficiaries. Make sure you remember that your child cannot be responsible for handling assets until he is of legal age. Therefore, someone will have to do it for him until that time, which means you should find someone you trust to do this.
  2. Choose your child’s guardian. Again, choosing a beneficiary and a guardian are two separate things. So make sure you and your husband really work this out.
  3. Create your document with as much detail as you can. Suggestions would be to type your document as you don’t want someone to assume what is written on it if they cannot read it. Have it titled as your will, make sure you sign and date it, and get it notarized. Notary signatures range anywhere from $10 and up. I would also bring at least two witnesses with me so they can sign the document just to be absolutely sure.

I’m not a lawyer or legal advisor and am merely presenting this as an easy and perhaps temporary way to have something written down. Of course if you’ve got the money to hire a lawyer to put your mind at ease, I might recommend doing so, but I have a feeling that a will is always better than nothing.

Comments

Memo: talk to hubby about getting a will.
    We did the whole “legal will kit” but now that we have another little one we should probably go and get that taken care of . It just creeps me out talking about death.

i’m of the opinion that it’s irresponsible for parents to not have a will. and legal guardians in place. otherwise who knows what could happen!

Great advice. We’ve been contemplating drafting one up for awhile now. I couldn’t stand if my kids went to a family we hadn’t planned on them going to.

It is SO important to have a will, especially if you have kids! I am a Dave Ramsey certified financial coach, and this issue is one that I stress to all parents. YOU want to choose who will take care of your kids and who will handle money for them until they come of age. Great post!

It is absolutely so very important. My husband and I have talked about this at length, but we definitely need to update ours now that our daughter is getting older.

A great reminder for something I really need to do!

I guess different countries have different rules about where our children will end up, and even within a country this might change in time. As you’ve said, it’s much better to think about the future for our children ourselves. It might seem a bit morbid to do so it, but it would be so much worse if our children end up in the wrong place with the wrong people.

Oh absolutely! I can’t even begin to think about the horrors my son could face if I wasn’t there for him, at least during his childhood years.

Excellent advice, Lexie. Parents can’t bury their heads in the sand, stick their fingers in their ears and say “nah-nah-nah” OR squeeze their eyes shut and pretend it might not happen to them. Ignorance is NOT bliss!

Whether rich or poor, consult an attorney and/or a financial advisor to create a will and develop a financial plan. Both areas are complex, with words that have very narrowly defined meanings. Drawing up a will costs a couple hundred dollars, tops, for the basics. Same with a financial plan. Of course, they can get more expensive — but if you tell them I want a will that makes sure my kids have guardian and that our finances are structured to care for them until they reach age, that’s pretty basic.

For those who have a will already, it’s equally important to review it when financial circumstances change and/or when relationships change (are your values still closely aligned with your designated guardian) and/or as kids get older leading to different needs.

Thank you for raising this important issue. I hope parents will make an effort to address this topic sooner rather than later.