It’s sometimes difficult to find out the reason why your baby is so fussy. When all else fails, the only thing he may want is a cuddle. Unfortunately, however, you can’t hold your baby at all hours of the day (and/or night). What is a possible alternative? Swaddling.
Benefits of Swaddling a Baby
1) Keeps baby warm and comfortable
3) Known to be a preventative measure for SIDS. Prevents overheating and keeps baby sleeping on their backs or on their sides and away from soft surfaces, which can trap carbon monoxide, increasing the baby’s chance of suffocation.
4) May prevent colic. It is unknown exactly as to what causes colic. However, it is believed to be more likely present with babies who are fussy and/or over-stimulated.
Drawbacks of Swaddling
1) Baby may become too dependent even at an older age.
2) Possibility of respiratory infections due to constant tightness of swaddle.
3) May cause hyperthermia, if baby is too warm.
Swaddling may not have any effect on the growth of your baby and so is not something that “must” be done. However, considering the benefits and drawbacks, it may be worth a try to see if it would make your life a bit easier.