Help Your Other Child Adjust Better to a New Sibling YAY!
So you’re having a new baby! How exciting! Are you a little worried your other child won’t adjust? Even if he or she is excited about having a new sibling before the birth, your child may change their mind once the new baby comes home.
Children who are more flexible and self-contained may adjust more easily, opposed to those who are highly sensitive and need more time with transitions. Your older child is likely to want your attention most when you’re nursing or changing a diaper. He or she may even try to express his or her feelings by yanking the baby’s arm or snatching the baby’s toys.
How Can I Help My Child Adjust?
1) Ask His Advice: Do you think the baby would like to wear the blue shirt or yellow shirt?”
2) Let Them Tell The Baby A Story: Have your child help make a simple picture book about him and his new sibling.
3) Watch The Baby Together: Invite your other child to observe the baby with you.
4) Let Them Do Their Own Thing: If your child doesn’t want to be involved with the new baby, don’t push it.
5) Keep your childs’ routine the same as it was before the new baby came home. This will provide a buffer against the stress of change.
Above are just a few tips for helping your little one adjust to the newest little one.
- How to Handle Sibling Rivalry in Your Home
- Shocking Child Care Practices in the Bygone Age
- Some Days I Think My Kids Are Trying to Drive Me Crazy
- Must Have Gifts for Baby Showers
- 5 Innovative Ways Parents Can Use a Kitchen Timer to Restore Order
- 4 Ways to Chart Your Cycle for Pregnancy Preparation
- The Dad Who Went Through a C-Section
- Easy Ways to Soundproof Your Nursery
Kelly Wonderlin is a full time partner and account executive of Horns Illustrated. With a background in sales, marketing, managing, video, public relations, customer service and a touch of social media, she wears a lot of hats! Kelly goes above and beyond for each and every one of her clients. Whether the company is small or large, she genuinely enjoys helping her clients reach their target audience to grow their company.
Last update on 2018-03-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API