How to Make Blood Draws Easier for Kids
Most people do not look forward to having their blood drawn…for children, it can be a very scary and anxiety-filled procedure. Here are some simple tips that may help parents whose children need to have blood drawn.
Your attitude is contagious! If you are tense, your child will get tense as well.
- Be positive!
- Be honest with your child that it might hurt!
- Talk about where or what you are going to be doing when you leave!
- Your child could sit on your lap during the blood draw.
- You could stand behind him or her and give a shoulder rub during the draw.
- You could hold his or her other hand.
- You could tell his or her favorite story.
- You could leave the room…sometimes older kids would prefer this…it makes them feel grown up.
- When it is all over, tell your child that you are proud of him or her…no matter how he or she acted during the draw.
Things NOT to say:
- Don’t say it won’t hurt!
- Don’t say just think of something else!
- Don’t say just act like a big boy or girl!
- 8 Great Ways for Parents to Help Children Build a Positive Self-Image
- Are Your Children Putting a Strain on Your Marriage?
- “Just wait until your father gets home!”
- How to Become a Successful Supermom
- Four Ways Single Moms Can Stay Happy
- 7 Ways to Thrive with Multiple Little Children
- How to Handle Sibling Rivalry in Your Home
- 3 Helpful Pregnancy Tips
I'm a mom of three, educator, parenting speaker and author of Show Me How! Build Your Child's Self-Esteem Through Reading, Crafting and Cooking. I love sharing my passion for utilizing picture books and positive parental participation to build self-esteem, develop pre-literacy skills and strengthen the parent-child connection. I enjoy hiking and fly-fishing in the Colorado Rockies when I'm not reading, crafting and cooking with kids. My next writing project is a picture book/board book for toddlers and I just returned from taking the Show-Me-How Story-time with Miss Vivian program "on the road" to Chicago.
Connect with me on:
Twitter | Google +
Last update on 2018-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API