Top 10 Books for Starting School for the First Time
Fear, excitement, anxiety, curiosity – these are just a few of the emotions children can experience before beginning school for the first time. Whether they are starting day care, preschool or kindergarten, one way to help ease that fear is through storytelling. Hundreds of books have been written for children just starting school, and below are 10 of my favorites for calming children who are preparing to begin school for the first time.
1. I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by Lauren Child
In this precious book by Lauren Child, little Lola is not so sure about starting school. Why should she have to go? Now it is up to big brother Charlie to persuade her why she really will want to go!
2. Little School by Beth Norling
With colorful illustrations and a knack for knowing what little learners think and feel, Beth Norling’s book answers practically any question your child may have about starting school. She explains it all from bathroom breaks to fun on the playground, turning any fears about starting school in eager expectation.
3. The Night Before Preschool by Natasha Wing
Little Billy is so nervous about tomorrow being the first day of preschool, he can’t sleep! Filled with sweet text and simple rhymes, this adorable book will ease any child’s fears about starting school.
4. The Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing
Filled with fun rhyming text, this take-off of the popular Christmas poem invites your child to join the kids as they prepare for kindergarten. From packing their school supplies to posing for pictures to even saying goodbye to Mom and Dad, soon the children realize just how fun Kindergarten can be!
5. D.W.’s Guide to Preschool by Marc Brown
In this fun book, Arthur’s little sister, D.W. offers advice to all little children preparing to go to preschool. Full of smiles and reassurances, D.W. gives instructions on everything from telling Mom and Dad goodbye to meeting the children and more.
6. Ms. Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph Slate
As Adam wakes up, Brenda brushes her teeth and Christopher finds his shoes, Miss Bindergarten is hard at work getting her room ready for the first day of Kindergarten. Filled with rhyming text and fun illustrations, this book is perfect for practicing the alphabet and introducing young children to Kindergarten!
7. Wow! School! by Robert Neubecker
It is Izzy’s first day of school and there is so much for her to do and see! Filled with lots of bright and colorful illustrations, this book is perfect for reassuring your child about starting school for the very first time.
8. Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten? by Audrey Vernick
Buffalo is growing up and now it is his first day of school. He may be ready, but is school ready for him? This book provides a hilarious look at the first day of school that will have your child rolling with laughter and forgetting their fears.
9. Mom, It’s My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum
It may be a child’s first day of school, but who is worried about all the new people and the different things he’ll do? Not the child, but Mom! In this refreshing reversal of roles, the child has to comfort the mom about his starting school for the first time, assuring her he will be fine.
10. Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come! by Nancy Carlson
Henry the mouse is thrilled about starting kindergarten, until he walks through the door! But as he quickly recognizes all the things he talked about and even makes a new friend, he comes to realize that Kindergarten is fun!
- Phonics and Your Child As An Early Emergent Reader!
- Children as Emergent Readers and 12 Great Books to Read
- Five Reasons to Read Picture Books with Children
- Five Fun Preschool Activities with Brown Bear, Brown Bear
- How to Encourage Early Literacy
- Fall Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Preschool Writing: Activities to Develop Fine Motor Skills
- Pre-Writing Activities for Preschoolers Learning to Write
Alaina Bullock currently lives in Birmingham, Alabama. She has a Bachelors Degree in Early Childhood Education from Auburn University, and has a love for writing and reading. She is also the author of Bullock's Buzz, a Lifestyle blog. Feel free to follow Alaina on:
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google +
Last update on 2018-03-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API